Scholarship Guidelines & Criteria
Scholarship award intended as a tuition aid or as an aid in the purchase of textbooks, garden books, and special horticultural projects to further a student’s horticultural journalism skills or their garden photographic skills.
Kathleen Fisher Memorial Scholarship
This grant is made in recognition of Kathleen Fisher who was the editor of The American Gardener, the journal of the American Horticultural Society. It is given annually in the amount of $500 to any full-time or part-time post secondary student, including technical schools and community colleges, majoring in horticulture, plant science or journalism, with an interest in garden communications.
General Scholarship Grants
GWA Foundation general scholarship grants are provided for college-level juniors or seniors enrolled as a full-time student majoring in horticulture, plant science or journalism, with an interest in garden communication, including garden photography. General scholarships are given annually and vary in number (2-6) and amount ($250-$2,000) depending on the earnings of the scholarship endowment. It is beneficial for horticulture or plant science majors to have taken courses in journalism and vice-versa, although exceptions will be made.
- We urge department heads to encourage qualified applicants to apply for this scholarship.
- Each application must be accompanied by a supporting letter from the student’s major professor or department head, and an official transcript of the student’s academic record.
- There shall be no preference with regard to sex, religion, race, national origin, marital status, age or political affiliation. All individuals will be judged solely on the basis of their qualifications and their writing or photographic skills.
- The institution receiving the grant assumes the responsibility for compliance by the recipient with the requirements of the scholarship.
- The scholarship grant will be forwarded to the scholarship supervising authority of the institution for presentation to the student or students at an appropriate time and place. The GWA Foundation will not grant monies directly to students.
- The GWA Foundation requires a written report from the scholarship recipient regarding the use of the grant.
- The GWA Foundation reserves the right not to award a scholarship(s) in the event no qualified entries are received.
Criteria for Selection
- Kathleen Fisher Memorial Scholarship recipients shall be any full- or part-time post secondary student, including technical schools and community colleges, majoring in horticulture, plant science or journalism, with an interest in garden communications.
- General scholarship recipient(s) shall be a college or university junior or senior enrolled in the Spring Term 2015 as a full-time student majoring in horticulture, plant science or journalism, with an interest in garden communication, including garden photography.
- Applicants must submit a minimum of two written compositions or photographs. Published works are preferred.
- The recipient must plan to complete undergraduate studies in the institution administering the GWA Foundation scholarship.
- The recipient must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- The recipient must be a responsible student and citizen. Recipient must be or have been involved in campus student activities and/or community organizations.
DEADLINE TUESDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2016
Please contact us at 212.297.2198.